søndag 13. april 2014

Wegener, Efterklang and Rando

After two weeks with field work most of the time was spent at UNIS (the university). There I randomly ran into Jørn Hurum again (post from last time I met him). He was the TA for my mum when she was studying geology, and when I told him that he said he felt really old. This time around I told him that I was studying structural geology, so he showed me and my classmates this neat video:


It is about the man that came with the theory of continental drift - which now rules how we view the evolution of the Earth. Apparently nobody believed him - and he died :( Fun song though!

On Friday after the cruise on Isfjorden it was Friday Gathering. Some students had arranged to show the movie "the ghost of piramida" in the big lecture hall. The movie is made in corporation with the band "Efterklang". It is about them collecting sounds in the abandoned Russian settlement "Pyramiden" on Svalbard. It is also showing the story of one of the miners who previously worked there.


During the weekend I tried out my new Rando skies. Soooooo cool to be able to just walk up steep slopes with your skies - and it looks like it takes no effort at all. It does though - but it is less exhausting than walking up the slopes by feet, and it is much much much more fun on the way down.

 From top left: The people in my kitchen on their way to Larshjerta, me posing with my rando skies, Tine leading forwards, Oda on her way up the steep slope, tired people walking by foot.

Me and the people from my kitchen went to Larshjerta, a mountain further SW, behind Sarkofagen (my first day at Svalbard last year, when we went to Sarkofagen). On the way down I felt the powder flow with my skies and I felt free :D

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar